Shown within Sheffield
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Councillors||Mike Drabble (Labour Party)|
Dianne Hurst (Labour Party)
David Barker (Labour Party)
Richmond was historically a small settlement consisting of a few cottages and Richmond Hall Farm, built in 1668 and demolished in 1966. Gateposts from the farm, which may have originally flanked an entrance to Sheffield Park, can still be seen amidst a housing estate dating from the late 1960s.
Richmond gives its name to one of the 28 electoral wards of Sheffield, in the southern part of the city. In addition to the suburb of Richmond, Richmond ward also includes the districts of Four Lane Ends, Intake, and Woodthorpe, and covers an area of 4.5 km2. The population of the ward in 2011 was 17,724 people in 7,827 households. It is one of the five wards that form the Sheffield Heeley parliamentary constituency. The boundary changed at the local elections in May 2016.
Four Lane Ends
Four Lane Ends is the crossroads at the bottom of Birley Moor Road, where it continues as Mansfield Road with the B6063 cutting through from Normanton Hill, where it becomes Hollinsend Road heading towards Gleadless.
Built in the 1930s, Woodthorpe (grid reference ) lies to the east of Intake. It has two pubs, the "High Noon" and "The Springwood", and also has a primary school (Woodthorpe), which was rebuilt in September 2005. However now "The Springwood" has closed down due to unpopular demand in the area and it is now abandoned and boarded up.
- J. Edward Vickers, "The Ancient Suburbs of Sheffield", p.14 (1971)
- "Key Figures for 2011 Census: Key Statistics – Area: Richmond (Ward)". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 3 August 2016.
- "Four Lane Ends, Sheffield - area information, map, walks and more". OS GetOutside. Retrieved 20 October 2021.